Fall River Eye Care Insurance

Payment & Insurance Information


Payment & Insurance Information at Center for Sight in Fall River, Massachusetts

We are happy to provide payment and insurance information. The best medical care can be provided only on the basis of mutual understanding. We encourage you to ask any questions you may have regarding our financial policies with our billing staff.

We participate in most health insurance plans and will be glad to submit a claim on your behalf. In many circumstances, you are responsible only for applicable co-payments and deductibles before the visit. However, not all insurance plans cover routine eye care, which would mean that, payment is required on the day of your exam for all services not covered. It is important to realize that insurance companies have different plans such as HMO’s, PPO’s, and POS. Please check your insurance handbook or check with your insurance company before scheduling an appointment to be sure that we are a participating provider. It is important to bring your insurance cards with you for every office visit. Some plans require you to obtain authorization for services from your primary care provider (internist, family practitioner, pediatrician, etc.). It is your responsibility to obtain this authorization from your primary care provider. If this information is required by your insurance company, this must be done before you visit our office. Failure to obtain a valid referral may result in the patient being financially responsible for any charges incurred.
Payment is expected at the time of your visit for all services and procedures unless prior arrangements are made. If you have insurance coverage through a carrier with which we do not have a participating agreement, we will provide you with a receipt which has procedure and diagnosis codes necessary to submit for reimbursement. Our insurance staff will be happy to assist you with instructions for completing your claim form. Most insurance companies will accept this statement with no additional forms needed.
We are a participating provider with the Medicare program (accepts assignment). This means that, with a valid signature on file, we will file all claims, and accept the amount approved by Medicare. (Medicare pays 80% of the approved amount and the patient is responsible for the remaining 20% and any deductible not satisfied to date by the patient) Medicare covers all “medically necessary” services. Medicare does not cover routine eye exams and refractions (examination for glasses) and, therefore, payment for these examinations is due at the time of service. If you have a Medicare HMO for your health care coverage, a referral from your primary care physician is required for any medical eye care provided.
The refraction portion of the eye exam is performed to determine if glasses, or a change in your current spectacle correction, will provide the best possible vision of the eye. A written prescription is given if this would be helpful in improving an individual’s visual acuity level. Please be aware that most insurance plans, including Medicare, do not cover this portion of the eye examination. If you have a separate Vision Plan that covers routine eye examinations, please let us know since it may assist you with your eye care needs that are not covered by your medical plan.

For your convenience, we accept VISA, MasterCard, Discover and bank debit cards.

Please bring all health insurance information with you. We will update and copy your insurance cards at each office visit. If you have any questions regarding Medicare and insurance policies and procedures, do not hesitate to ask. We will do our best to assist you. To speak with a representative in our billing department, you may call direct to (508) 677-1921 ext. 333.

Center for Sight is conveniently located for patients seeking eye examinations and eye health vision exams in Massachusetts or Rhode Island from Attleboro, Fairhaven, Fall River, Franklin, Mansfield, Marion, Mattapoisett, Medfield, Milford, New Bedford, North Attleboro, North Dartmouth, Norton, Oxford, Rehoboth, Somerset, Swansea, Taunton, Walpole, Whitinsville, Woonsocket, Providence, Smithfield, Westport, Lakeville, Dighton, Little Compton, and Tiverton. Please feel free to call us for a convenient appointment at 508-730-2020.